Agarwood, or aloeswood, or oud or gaharu are all common names for the resinous tree Aquilaria. The wood which gets infected with fungi through a process produces the aromatic resin as a part of their defense mechanism. The resin is either produced naturally through natural process or artificially through artificial means produces the aromatic resin.
The heartwood of the tree is known as oudh wood, jinko, kyaru, oud, etc., in different cultures and is highly appreciated by the people and kept as prized possession for its unique aroma. It is a rare and pure fragrance and is loved by the people of the Middle East. It is found in the regions of the south east Asia.
It was not very popular in the western world, but recently it has found its admirer in the west too. Famous brands, like Giorgio Armani and Tom Ford, have come up with Oud Royal and Oud Wood fragrances. Earlier it was just used for aroma therapy but with such famous designer brands coming up with such fragrances, it has definitely become a part of the boutique scents. Click here for more info on the said boutique scents.
History of the fragrance
• It is mentioned in the ancient books, like Torah, Gospel, Sanskrit and Muslim scriptures
• Prophet Muhammad has used it in the traditional fumigation and Muslim still continues the tradition till date.
• The bible mentions where Jesus is perfumed using this fragrance
• Ancient Chinese and Buddhist also have the history of using it.
Benefits of using the oil of Agarwood
• It has a calming effect on the body and helps in removing the negative energies. It also helps in enhancing the mental abilities, awareness, vigor and harmony. It reduces fear too.
• It also helps in easing neurotic and obsessive behavior.
• It brings about harmony and peace in the house environment and a sense of balance.
• It is very good for meditation purposes and enlightens the mood and behavior.
• It relaxes the mind and brings in deep tranquility.
• It stimulates the human mind, body and soul and has high psychoactive qualities.
• It is also believed to stimulate the mind and opens the third eye with all the upper chakras.
• It has its therapeutic uses and is widely used for its healing properties.
• It is used as an aphrodisiac and cures sexual problems.
• It helps in relieving epilepsy and is also used as a diuretic.
• It is also used for curing nervous disorders.
• It is used as antimicrobial too.
• It is also used as anti rheumatic and for healing arthritis pain.
• It is also used during child birth spasm.
• It also cures the digestive system and has carminative properties.